After one of the longest and coldest winters I can remember, I can finally say that spring has finally arrived here in the Great White North. If you are anything like me, you likely spent too much time hibernating to avoid the frigid winds, mountains of snow, and slippery ice. With that all behind us (well, for at least six months), we can look ahead to a fresh start to renew and revitalize our skin by focusing on supporting detoxifying organs which include the liver, kidneys, colon and, yes, even skin.
MY TOP 5 SKIN CARE TIPS WILL HELP YOU TO RESTORE THAT SPRING GLOW!
1. SUPPORT YOUR LIVER: Your liver is your master detoxifier and this time of year it could use a boost by simply incorporating or increasing the daily amounts of leafy greens, cruciferous vegetables such as broccoli and cauliflower. Green tea is a powerful antioxidant which helps the liver to perform by combating harmful free radicals.
2. EXFOLIATE: Out with the old (skin) and in with the new! Skin renews, on average, every 28 days and using a good quality product can help to remove to dead skin and support fresh new skin. Be careful when using these on your face as some ingredients can be quite harsh and could be harmful depending on different skin types and conditions. Products containing Alpha Hydroxy Acids (AHA) are wonderful too as they exfoliate the surface of the skin and help promote collagen production. AHAs come from a variety of natural sources such as glycolic acid from sugar cane, citric acid from citrus fruits and lactic acid from milk.
We love the Repechage Honey Almond Scrub.This natural exfoliating facial scrub leaves the skin super clean and smooth. It is made with pure honey, oatmeal and almond meal to help purify and deep cleanse the skin. It also contains St. John's Wort which purifies, soothes, and tones.
Rapidex® is another favourite product if you are looking for a safe and effective AHA. It will help rid the skin of dead cells, revealing a younger, clearer, and a brighter complexion with more even texture and tone. Based on Phyto-marine actives and natural fruit acids, it helps to diminish the look of age spots and discoloration, leaving skin smoother, softer and brighter.
3. EXERCISE: Getting off the couch and moving your body everyday isn't just good for your heart and mood, but also your skin! Regular exercise increases blood flow and overall circulation which transports important beauty nutrients to your cells. I enjoy a brisk 30 minute walk every day! Get outside and enjoy the fresh air and warm sun by taking a bike ride or any outdoor activity you enjoy to get your circulation moving and your skin glowing!
4. HYDRATE: Getting plenty of water every day is the most important thing you can do for healthier, glowing skin. Water helps to flush the body of toxins and keeps skin cells well hydrated. There are two ways to hydrate your skin - internally and externally. Externally, always use a good quality moisturizer in the morning and before bed. Internally, drink herbal teas and filtered water. A good rule of thumb is to drink half your body weight in ounces (i.e. if you weigh 150 pounds you should be drinking a minimum of 75 ounces of water).
Another favourite product of mine is the Repechage Hydro-Complex PFS. Based on the Physiological Filtrate of Seaweed (PFS), this proprietary sea-complex helps to nourish, re-mineralize and hydrate skin. This daily moisturizer restores skin that has lost moisture due to age, climate changes and travel. This product’s super humectant and emollient formula was developed to restore skin vitality and youthfulness.
5. EAT FRESH SEASONAL FRUITS & VEGGIES: Take advantage of all the fresh fruits and vegetables that will be popping up at the markets in the spring. Some of my favourite skin-loving spring foods are spinach, beets, avocados, strawberries, asparagus, cabbage and carrots. One of my absolute favs, which is often overlooked, is pomegranates! They are jam-packed with vitamin C to help boost elasticity and stimulate collagen production. Pomegranates are an antioxidant skin superhero, helping to fight off and protect against free radical damage. With the days getting longer, seasonal fruits and vegetables are starting to hit the markets, so there isn’t a better time to pay a visit to your local farmers market.
These are all great ways to welcome spring and to get onto the right path to more healthy glowing skin!