If you want a tan that will last then you need to prep your skin. Prep is key to a flawless, long-lasting glow. Applying self tanner over skin that has not been exfoliated will not only appear uneven but fade faster resulting in a very blotchy looking tan. Here are some tips to avoid that from happening:
· Make sure hair removal is done at least 12-24 hours in advance.
· Exfoliate, Exfoliate, Exfoliate!! I cannot express this enough! Exfoliate gently the morning of or night before. Make sure the scrub you are using does not contain any heavy oils, this will leave a residue on skin and will alter with the development of the tan.
· Do not use any creams, oils or moisturizers on skin the day of. No perfumes or deodorants should be worn either, this can cause your tan to develop green. Clean Skin is best!
· Make sure the driest parts of your body ( typically your feet, ankles, knees, hands, wrists and elbows ) are properly moisturized by applying a light layer of lotion so they aren’t over –absorbing the product.
2.The Technique is important!
When using a mousse or a lotion I would highly recommend using a Tanning Mitt like the St. Tropez Applicator Mittto apply your product. Do not use your bare hands unless you want your hands to look like an Oompa Loompas! Using a mitt will ensure a streak free finish as well. Applying product directly to the mitt while using sweeping motions will distribute product evenly. Can’t reach your back? No worries just take the mitt with the application side on the back of your hand; this will help you reach the hard-to-get areas on your back.
3. Hands, feet and face should be the last steps.
To make sure you don’t over tan your hands and feet, simply use the left over residue on mitt to finish those areas. A little trick I love to use for the face is to mix your favourite face moisturizer with the tanning product, the tan will apply evenly onto the face and will give you a nice healthy glow. You can also use products like St. Tropez Self Tan Classic Bronzing Face Lotion; this is non pore-clogging and is formulated specifically for the face.
4.Now you marinate!
Yup, you read that right. Once you’ve finished applying your self tan you must wait at least 6-8 hours before you can wash off the tan. Make sure during this time you wear dark loose clothing, physical activity of any kind is a NO NO! If you sweat you will disturb the development of the tan. I suggest you poor yourself a drink, sit back and relax!
5.Shower and Hydrate!
It’s time to shower off the tan and reveal the glowing goddess that you are! It’s important to use just your hands and not a loofah or wash cloth when in the shower; you don’t want to rub the skin to much as this will cause your tan to come off. Once done with your shower, remember to not aggressively dry off your body with the towel, pat only.